Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Cold Day

Last night our funrace made a weird noise and then a really bad electrical buring smell crept through out our house. We called the repairman and he recommended keeping the heat off and he could come look at it tomorrow morning. Colby and I were worried that Corbin would get cold, but luckily I remembered we have a space heater, We put in Corbin's room and he slept just fine. We were afraid that we might have to replace our furnace, because it looks way old and the efficency sticker on it says 80% and everything now a days is 90% and above. Well the technician came and had a look...and it looks like the circuit board is broken and needs a new one. Sigh of relief, that can't be too bad right? WRONG! It costs $500-600 to fix and that's if he doesn't have to special order the part. Plus, apparentlly we have the wrong size furnace. The furnace we currently have is for a 2400 sq. ft home and well if you have been to our humble abode you know that is more than twice the size of hour home, which is 950 sq. ft. The technician was astonished and was like how much are you paying for your heating bill. I didn't think it was that bad, but apparently it is, we usually pay around $80 in the winter months. The tech said well a place your size you really should only be paying around $40-50. So taking all of this into account the tech recommends we get a new furnace. I googled the price of a new furnace and I wanted to cry. Hopefully it won't be too much, but if anyone knows a good heating company to use let me know. Why is it that these things always happen at the worst possible time? I have to go know because me fingers are ice cold and can no longer type. Pray for warmer weather!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple years ago we looked up and saw smoke coming from our furnace! We were still under warranty so it only cost $500 for a new furnace but who just has extra money on hand? At least your monthly bills will be smaller!

Jeremy, Laura-Ann and Madilynn Nutt said...

So sorry. That sucks. You guys can come stay with us to be warm!!

Matt and Marci said...

Oh man! I'll pray for warm wheather for you... maybe that way you can put off buying the new furnace til the end of the summer or sumething. Keep warm or just come visit us is St. George!

The Sayamas said...

NISA! That sucks, we had the same problem with our AC. It was way too big for our condo. I have a name of a guy who is the most honesy, kind man I know. He is really good and he is really pretty cheap. His name is Mike Atkinson and his number is...well call me if you want it.